EXPAREL® Helps Control Pain Without Opioids
EXPAREL is a revolutionary post-surgical pain relief option. A single dose of EXPAREL administered during the surgery takes effect before the anesthesia wears off and continues to provide pain relief for several days, which is the time when post-surgical pain is at its peak. EXPAREL is so effective it reduces or even eliminates the need for opioids to manage post-operative discomfort.
Learn about the anesthesia options offered by The Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Specialists of San Diego by visiting our Anesthesia page.
The Risk of Managing Post-Operative Pain With Opioids
Opioids are narcotics. They are commonly prescribed by doctors for patients to manage pain after surgery. However, opioids are highly addictive and carry serious side effects if they are abused.
Prescription opioid-based drugs include:
- Codeine (only available in generic form)
- Fentanyl (Actiq®, Duragesic®, Fentora®, Abstral®, Onsolis®)
- Hydrocodone (Hysingla ER®, Zohydro ER®)
- Hydrocodone/acetaminophen (Lorcet®, Lortab®, Norco®, Vicodin®)
- Hydromorphone (Dilaudid®, Exalgo®)
- Meperidine (Demerol®)
- Morphine (Kadian®, MS Contin®, Morphabond®)
- Oxycodone (OxyContin®, Oxaydo®)
- Oxycodone and acetaminophen (Percocet®, Roxicet®)
For many years, prescribing an opioid-based medication was the standard treatment for post-surgical pain relief. Unfortunately, this has led to an opioid addiction crisis in our city and across our country.
- According to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), San Diego had more than 2,200 accidental deaths involving prescription opioids over the past decade.
- In 2018, there were 769 emergency department visits related to opioids in San Diego County. (CDPH)
- In 2018, there were 268 deaths involving opioids in San Diego County. (CDPH)
- According to CNN, an estimated 10.3 million Americans aged 12 and older misused opioids in 2018.
At The Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Specialists of San Diego, patient safety comes first. Dr. Koshgerian and Dr. Shelton offer EXPAREL to their patients as a leading alternative to prescribing opioid-based medications. Contact our office to learn more about your options for pain management.