For our patients in San Diego, CA, seeking replacements for broken, failing, or missing teeth, one of the most desirable tooth restoration treatments is to receive dental implants. Dental implants are a permanent tooth replacement solution with the look, feel, and functional abilities of natural teeth. A single dental implant is a three-part tooth replacement consisting of a titanium post that is surgically inserted into the jaw bone, an abutment piece that is used to connect the implant to a custom crown, and the crown itself which is designed to perfectly match your existing teeth. Implants can support a single tooth replacement or even an entire arch of teeth. One of the things that patients love about dental implants is that dental implants do not damage surrounding teeth to secure the restoration. Implants are true tooth replacements — just like natural teeth, they fuse with the bone in your jaw for the ability to eat virtually anything, and smile with complete confidence. Because implants fuse with the jaw bone, they also keep the jaw healthy, preventing the bone loss that can occur from extended tooth loss. Plus, your dental implants can last a lifetime if you practice good oral care!
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants provide a realistic and secure tooth replacement that also benefits your overall oral health. With so many incredible advantages over more traditional tooth replacements, dental implants are a preferred tooth replacement solution for patients. Some of the benefits of dental implants include
- Durable and permanent. The implant fuses with the bone in your jaw for a long-term, realistic replacement. With good oral hygiene, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Lifelike. Implants look, feel, and function just like natural teeth.
- A confident smile. You may experience improved self-confidence knowing that you can smile again, and no one will know that you have had a tooth replacement!
- Enjoy eating again. Comfortably and confidently enjoy your favorite foods.
- Oral health protection. Dental implants replace the entire tooth, including the root, so they stimulate the bone under your gums to prevent bone loss just like natural teeth do.
- Most patients are dental implant candidates! With cutting-edge advances in bone grafting techniques, most people can receive successful dental implants.
With the advanced bone grafting techniques that we offer at The Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Specialists of San Diego, CA, we find that successful dental implant placement is an option for almost everyone, even those patients who have major loss of bone in the jaw due to long-term tooth loss, or other factors such as disease or injury. If you are healthy enough to have a standard tooth extraction, dental implants are likely an option for you at our practice.
If you want to restore your oral function with dental implants, or if you have any questions about our procedures or our practice, please contact our practice to schedule a consultation with Dr. Koshgerian or Dr. Shelton. We look forward to offering you the very best in oral surgery care.
Dental Implant Procedure
Our trusted oral and maxillofacial surgeons, Dr. Koshgerian and Dr. Shelton, have extensive training and experience placing dental implants. Oral surgeons are uniquely qualified to perform implant placement surgery with the best long-term results and the least amount of risk. The process for receiving implants is a collaboration between your oral and maxillofacial surgeon and your restorative dentist. Your surgeon performs any initial tooth extractions and any necessary bone grafting and places your implants, and your dentist creates the custom prosthesis (crown) that will match your existing teeth. Your dentist will also make any temporary prosthesis required for the implant process. Digital 3D impressions will be taken of your mouth to plan your surgery and for the creation of the custom crown or crowns. The custom replacement teeth can be crowns, fixed bridges, or fixed dentures — all of which will be permanently secured to the implant posts that are surgically inserted in your jaw bone.
Most of the time, dental implants and/or bone grafting procedures will be performed at The Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Specialists of San Diego in our surgical suites under intravenous (IV) sedation. Our doctors have extensive training in the safe administration of in-office anesthesia and sedation, and our team is dedicated to maintaining your comfort throughout your procedures. For the details about anesthesia options and procedures at our practice, please see our Anesthesia Options page. When you are informed about your options, it is easier for you to express your preferences to the doctor during your consultation appointment. The dental implant procedure at our practice typically goes as follows:
- Consultation appointment. The day of your consultation with your oral surgeon marks the beginning of your dental implant process. During this appointment, you will have a complete evaluation of your oral health condition and will work with your oral surgeon to develop a treatment plan for your best results. 3D scans may be taken to create precise surgical guides for your procedure.
- Procedure day. On the day of your surgery, the anesthesia that you will have chosen during your consultation will be administered to you once you are ready so that you will not feel any discomfort whatsoever during your procedure. Your oral surgeon will make a small cut in your gum tissue over the area where your implant is to be inserted. He will then insert the titanium implant post into your jaw bone and stitch the surgical site closed. After the procedure, you will have time to rest before your designated driver takes you home. In general, a single implant placement procedure takes 30 to 60 minutes, and around two to three hours for multiple implants.
- Recovery period. The healing process begins the moment your procedure is over and continues until there is complete fusion of your implant with the bone in your jaw. Patients are usually back to their regular routines after just a couple of weeks, however, the fusion of the implant with your jaw bone will take a few weeks longer. Your personal healing time will be based on the condition of your jaw bone, your overall health, and your body’s natural healing abilities. Your oral surgeon will go over these factors and timelines with you before you have your procedure. You may receive a temporary crown to wear during your recovery time.
- Placement of the abutment. The abutment is the piece that securely connects the crown to your implant. After there has been sufficient healing, your doctor will determine that it is time to place an abutment onto your implant post.
- Placement of the custom crown. Once you have the go-ahead from your oral surgeon, the final phase of your treatment will begin. Your restorative dentist will fit your permanent, custom-made crown to the dental implant. Now, celebrate! Your tooth restoration is complete!
With the proper oral care and regular dental checkups, dental implants are designed to last. Our oral surgeons are available to consult with you to develop a treatment plan that carefully considers your unique condition and goals. Please call one of our two locations in the San Diego, CA area to learn more about The Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Specialists of San Diego and how we can help you restore your smile.
Dental Implant Cost
For the most accurate estimate of the cost of your dental implant treatment, we recommend a consultation with one of our oral surgeons. Factors that go into dental implant treatment that can affect cost include the number of implants you will be receiving and if you will need a bone grafting procedure or an extraction to prepare for your implant placement.
The long-term value of dental implants is undeniable: replacement teeth that allow you to regain the ability to eat the foods you love, appear natural when you talk and smile, and maintain the health of your jaw bone are truly priceless. When you also consider the fact that implants can last decades with proper oral care, the difference is clear between implants and less expensive tooth restorations that must be replaced periodically. Some of the economic and personal benefits enjoyed by implant patients include the following:
- A lifelong tooth replacement. Bridges and dentures must be replaced after a few years, but dental implants do not require replacement. With proper oral hygiene and regular dental checkups, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Better oral health. Dental implants fuse with the jaw bone in a process called osseointegration. This process gives dental implants the benefit of stimulating the jaw bone like natural tooth roots, helping to protect your jaw from bone loss that can occur from missing teeth.
- Improved quality of life. When patients choose dental implants to restore their missing teeth, they regain the ability to eat the foods they love as well as speak, eat, and smile with confidence because they know their replacement teeth are secure and natural-looking.
Dental implants are a cost-effective and healthy way to rehabilitate your oral function and your confident smile. If are interested in learning more about dental implants for damaged or missing teeth, please give The Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Specialists a call.
For more on the cost and value of dental implants at our friendly and professional San Diego, CA area practices, see our Dental Implant Cost page.
Dental Implant FAQ
Please see our Dental Implant FAQ here.
Dental Implant Instructions
At The Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Specialists of San Diego, we focus on safe procedures with optimal outcomes for all of our patients. As specialists in oral surgery and the placement of dental implants, Dr. Koshgerian and Dr. Shelton will take excellent care of you, but to ensure that you have a fast recovery without complications, it’s your responsibility to carefully follow our instructions for at-home pre- and post-surgical care.
We will provide you with detailed care instructions before your oral surgery. We also include these instructions here, so you can prepare yourself for a successful experience. Our general pre-operative instructions are not specific to your procedure but will inform you about dietary concerns, medications, and other essential information that will prepare you for your procedure. The post-operative instructions are specific to your surgery and include everything you will need to know for your self-care after your procedure. Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions about your pre- and post-operative instructions. As always, we are at the ready to answer your questions and offer guidance.
Tooth Replacement Options
Drs. Koshgerian and Shelton of The Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Specialists of San Diego are experts at placing dental implants, but they know that dental implants are not necessarily the right tooth restoration option for every patient. Information on additional tooth replacement options is available on our website, and if you would like to consult with one of the oral surgeons about your unique case, they are happy to accommodate. Please contact our practice to schedule a consultation.
Some of your options for tooth replacement might be
- Dental Implants
- Full-Arch Restoration
- Flippers/Metal Partials
- Full or Partial Dentures
If you have any questions about our procedures, our practice, or would like to schedule your consultation with Dr. Koshgerian or Dr. Shelton, please contact one of our San Diego, CA area practices. We look forward to talking with you about the possibilities for restoring your smile.
Learn more about tooth replacement options on our Tooth Replacement Options page.